For Sale by Owner
in 1989 Joanna () and I built a 3,800 sf custom house in front of our old house and tore the old house down.
After 40 years in New Jersey it's time for me to move back to California.
I'm selling the house for $775,000. (The price on zillo less the realtor comission)
Will cooperate with agents.
Don't even think about it if you're just looking for a big spec house with minimal landscaping that was put up in a hurry with low cost materials.
If you're looking for a custom house with quality construction, character, architectural features, lots of light, mature landscaping, in a great neighborhood, this may be the place for you.
The cost per sq ft ($204) is still lower than the averages for other Martinsville houses ($279).
822 Vosseller Ave (Driveway on Merriam Dr), Martinsville, NJ
List Price: $775,000
Year Built: 1989
Lot: 160' x 256' (.94 acre)
Floor size: 3,800 sq ft.
Baths: 3 1/2
Style: Contemporary Colonial
Lots of light - 33 6' windows throughout
18 ft Family Room Ceiling
High ceilings in 3 bedrooms
Large fireplace with outside vent
Dumbwaiter from basement garage to kitchen
sub-zero built in refrigerator
550 sq ft deck
Basement: Full - unfinished
Dry basement with triple drainage system
Wired for FIOS (fiber) and cable TV/Internet
Circular walkway around the house and garden
260 sq. ft kitchen with loads of cherry cabinet space and almost 100 sq. ft. of countertop.|
From the kitchen window you do not see any other houses and would think you are deep in the woods, yet the house is a corner lot with all sides visible from the street for security.
See other amenities below
Click on the photos below for a larger view.
Kitchen: Living Room
Master Bedroom and bath:
150° panorama from outside kitchen window.
The shapes in our house - Don't live in a box it will it will lead to square thinking. Add some angles and curves to stimulate your creative juices. Our architect, Greg Arner, specialized in designing Churches.
See Architecture Mood & Creativity
Location - Location - Location:
- Custom architecture designed by Joanna (), Don and architect, Gregory Arner (1947-2009) of New Providence, NJ.
- Green design. Overhang above kitchen windows provides shade in the summer and allows direct sunlight in the winter.
Hi R insulation
Low-E double pained windows
Average heat bill Dec-Mar = $155/mo
Outside air vent for the fireplace
New (this year) energy efficient furnace
- 165 Square feet of south facing windows on the 1st floor
to avoid Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the winter.
- Quality construction. Plywood (not pressed wood) under cedar siding.
1 in copper pipe from main to water heater. 3/4 in copper pipe to master bath.
- Mature landscaping designed with Frederick Law Olmsted's concept of curvilinear design in mind.
- On the top of the first range of the Watchung Mountains. Line of sight (obscured by trees) to 1 World Trade Center for good broadcast TV reception.
See other nearby sights below.
Note: The prices above were in October, 2016.
When I advertised our house for $775,000 they lowered the price.
Zillow.com - The average price in the neighborhood as of Oct. 2016 was $756,000
Houses for sale in the area:
Smaller older house 1/2 block away, 1741 Merriam Dr., was shown at $650 on zillo and sold for $690 in Jan. 2017.
Smaller house about the same age < 1 mile - 548 Stangle Rd. $849,000
Average price per sq ft in Martinville June 2016 - $279
Our house - $204/sq-ft.
Driveway at 1708 Merriam Dr., Martinsville, NJ 08836 (Corner of Vosseller)
Mail address is 822 Vosseller.
Other nearby sights:
See other N. New Jersey and New York City sights.
- Recreation - sights
- Across the street from The 719 acre Washington Valley Park, the second largest in Somerset County: Mountain Biking, Walking, Fishing,
- 1/2 mile from the The Chimney Rock Hawk Watch is one of the main NJ and east coast hawk watches.
- 1/4 mile from the former Camp Cromwell, 100 acres just purchased by the township.
- 10 minutes from the South Bound Brook entrance to the Delaware and Raritan Canal tow path for biking, walking, running.
- 5 min (1.5 mi) from Chimney Rock Park with tennis courts, baseball fields and a playground.
- 15 minutes from Duke Farms, Doris Duke's 2,700 acre estate, which is open to the public with biking and walking paths thru a variety of habitats.
- 8 minutes from the Somerset Patriots Baseball stadium.
- 2 minutes from Washington Campground.
In May of 1777, Washington moved his small army of about 6-8,000 men from his winter encampment at Morristown to the first range of the Watchung Mountains in this area to observe the British troops at New Brunswick and Perth Amboy.
See Middlebrook Encampment
- New York City - 1:15 drive to Chinatown; 1:30 drive to the American Museum of Natural History and Central Park.
- 40 min to Princeton
- 20 min to Rutgers University
- 1:10 to Sandy Hook National Park at the Jersey Shore.
- 1:10 to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
- 45 min to Liberty State Park with views of the New York City Skyline and the Statue of liberty. Take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island.
- 35 min to Ken Lockwood Gorge which is best known as one of the top trout fishing destinations in the east, but also referred to as "the most picturesque area in the state."
- 30 min to Morristown National Historical Park
- 1:15 to Mountain Creek Ski Resort in New Jersey.
1:25 to Camelback Mountain Ski resort and Blue Mountain Ski Resort in Pennsylvania.
- 1:30 to Philadelphia
- 1 hr to Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park.
Hot water heater 2015
LED front and back pourch lights 2015
Painted front and deck 2015
Roof/Shingles (replace) 2015
New fishpond liner 2015
Outdoor faucets 2015
Central Vacuum 2015
Garage door spring and openers 2016
Resealed chimney cap 2016
5 new LED hall/stairwell lights 2016
New Lenox HVAC System 2016
Upgraded Kitchen 2016-17
Granite Counter tops, new cook top,
New double wall oven, sink, faucets
Home Inspection Report
Contact: Don McBride
Return to Main
last updated 10 Mar 2017